2011 Wyoming Whitewater Championships
We have all either heard the tales, seen the GoPro footage or witnessed first hand the impact La Nina has had on the 2010/2011 winter season in Jackson Hole. From the epic December powder days to the ongoing onslaught of the upper reaches of the Teton Range, winter storms have provided a snowpack that rivals the deepest on record books. While winter enthusiasts were enjoying the spoils of an unusually consistent weather system, a select few have been keeping an eye on the after effects of such a wet winter. Measuring the potential spring run off into the rivers of Northwest Wyoming is forecasting a water flow that few have ever seen. The melting surge of H2O has already caused havoc creating a landslide in the Snake River Canyon that closed a main highway for weeks, but also brings a brighter side…Big Whitewater.
The Wyoming Whitewater Championships are planned during the spring run-off for just such a reason. The 15th annual holding of the event, which is presented by and benefits the Jackson Hole Kayak Club, sets the stage for athletes to show off their talents for taming the surging whitewater. With competitors from all over Wyoming, including members of the JH Kayak Club, the Wyoming Whitewater Championships provide the opportunity to see the the best local rafting and kayaking athletes mastering their craft. The weekends competition started with a jovial but competitive race down the Hoback river, continued with a spectacular Freestyle Kayak Rodeo at Kings Wave on the Snake River, and finished with an intense boater-cross style race down the Greys River and Class V Snaggletooth rapid.
Friday 06/10/11 – Hoback River Race
The crew from Sands Whitewater enjoys their victory and repeat as the Hoback Cup Champs
Spectators watch the show from the bridge
- Rafting: 1st Place – Sands Whitewater, 2nd Place – Dave Hansen, 3rd Place – Bryson White’s Boat
- Long Boat: 1st Place – Aaron Pruzan, 2nd Place – Jon Souter, 3rd Place – Dave Kemper
- Short Boat: 1st Place – Carson King, 2nd Place – Teague Manley, 3rd Place – Austin Rathmann
- Women: 1st Place – Brooke Terkovich, 2nd Place – Karen Colclough
Saturday 06/11/11 – Freestyle Kayak Rodeo
The judges and athletes prepare for the show at Kings Wave
Athletes show what they have in their bag of tricks at the Kings Wave on the Snake River
- Mens Pro: 1st Place – Jon Souter, 2nd Place – Teague Manley, 3rd Place – Ty Martin/Eric Parker/Carson King
- Mens Open: 1st Place – Rick Maser, 2nd Place – Nathan Danforth, 3rd Place – Dave Kemper
- Womens: 1st Place – Karen Colclough
- Jr. Mens: 1st Place – Ian Rubrecht
- Jr. Women: 1st Place – Brooke Terkovich
Sunday 06/12/11 – Greys River Boatercross
The Class V rapid Snaggletooth provided a challenge for the experienced boater-cross field
- BoaterCross: 1st – Aaron Pruzan, 2nd Place – Carson King, 3rd Place – Jon Souter
Thanks to the Jackson Hole Kayak Club, their sponsors, and the athletes for putting on a great show. While no one can predict what weather cylce will be thrown into the Jackson Hole and Teton region next winter, we know that the Wyoming Whitewater Championships will be there to put on a show taming the whitewater surge that ensues.